Trees are vital to the survival of just about every species on the planet, including humans. They absorb the carbon dioxide in the environment and produce the oxygen that we need to breathe. Trees are a major contributor to controlling erosion and reducing the effects of flooding. Plus, innumerable wildlife species depend on trees for food, protection, and shelter. While trees are immensely beneficial, a damaged or dead tree is dangerous. Here are some ways to tell if you need to trim or remove a tree for the good of all.
Signs It’s Time to Prune Your Trees
Pruning is the practice of removing branches and limbs to shape a tree and to enhance its growth. The best time of the year to trim your trees is in the spring or winter to promote new growth. Before you reach for the trimmers, check this list to see if your trees are showing signs of needing a trim:
- Bowed, broken, or splintered branches are a sign that you need to prune the tree right away;
- Uneven growth of branches leading to a tree leaning to one side;
- Trees are damaged due to storms or other incidents;
- The tree is too dense and branches are crisscrossing one another;
- Too much outward growth. If a tree is spreading too wide, it may need to be trimmed.
What Is the Proper Way to Prune a Tree?
It can be very tricky for a homeowner to trim a tree without causing damage to the tree. Knowing what to trim, how much to trim, and when to trim is essential. You also need the right tools and equipment to get the job done safely.
Signs a Tree Needs to Be Removed
If you can avoid cutting down trees in your landscape, that’s always the best option. However, some trees just cannot be saved and it is best to have them removed. Carefully evaluate your trees, looking for anything that’s not quite right. If you notice any of the following, it might be time to cut the tree down:
- There are no leaves growing on the tree during regular growth seasons;
- Branches fall out of the tree for no reason (no wind,etc.);
- A storm has caused significant damage to the tree;
- The tree is too close to your home or other structure;
- The tree is dead or dying due to pests or disease
Why You Need Professional Tree Removal
You might be tempted to grab a chainsaw to cut down that damaged, diseased, or ugly tree yourself. Before you do, take stock of your safety equipment and abilities. If you’re not properly equipped to climb the tree safely and you don’t have tree removal experience, it’s a dangerous task.
Tree Trimming and Removal Services in Bloomington
Damaged, overgrown, diseased and dead trees can cause serious damage to your home or injure someone. Whether you need a tree trimmed or removed, call Anthony’s Lawn and Landscape at (812) 345-5694. We have the experience, equipment, and manpower to safely take care of your trees right.